Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Blood on the Badge


Mama, take this badge off of me
I can't use it anymore.
It's gettin' dark, too dark to see
I feel I'm knockin' on heaven's door.

From Bob Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"

Much has been written about the Thin Blue Line... the imaginary line of police protection that keeps ordinary citizens as safe as possible from the thugs, murders, rapists, and criminal elements that will always comprise a percentage of our population.  Nevertheless, Jackhammer feels compelled to weigh in on this issue.

Jackhammer has numerous friends in various branches of law enforcement... it would take me a while to count them all.  Why is this?  Jackhammer is an honorary member of the Sheriff's Department, and has been given a badge to that effect... but Jackhammer is careful not to present himself as a sworn officer.  My duties are regulated to "assistance and support," which means I carry illuminated traffic wands and a reflective safety vest under the seat of my truck.  I am not a professional Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) myself, so that cannot explain why so many of my friends wear a badge to work every day.  There must be something more to the attraction... something deeper.  Respect, perhaps?

This issue came to the forefront of my mind when an incident happened at this gas station in Lillington, a place that Jackhammer has often stopped to refuel over the past 20 years. 


Until last year, no officer from Lillington had ever lost his life in the line of duty.  Sadly, Jackhammer must now salute Deputy John Strickland, who was slain by gunfire while attempting to question a suspicious suspect at this gas station.  Now every time I refuel my truck at this location, I wonder if I am standing on the same spot where Deputy Strickland bled out and lost his life.


The thing is, I go to my cushy office job every day without fear.  The most dangerous part of my day is the commute in heavy traffic.  While often harrowing, nobody has shot at me... at least not yet.  Unlike Deputy John Strickland, I am not roaming the streets searching for Jose Trinidad Soto Sanchez, 21, and Jose Juan Alverez, 28, both from neighboring Spring Hope, to charge them with first-degree rape, first-degree kidnapping, and attempted murder.

According to the Harnett County Sherriff, these two men had abducted a 17-year-old girl from her house where she was babysitting her 3-year-old sister.  From there, she was taken to the Cape Fear River where she was sexually assaulted.  After the sexual assault had taken place, she was shot three times in the face, abdomen, and hand, and then left to die in the river. 

Jackhammer salutes all the men and women of law enforcement who risk their lives to stand on the Thin Blue Line.  Jackhammer has the utmost respect for all of you who serve and protect.  I pray that you come home safely every single night... without any blood on your badge.

No comments:

Post a Comment